Lesson Number 1: NO. It’s not true… THINK!
• You have not won the lottery in Spain, the Netherlands, Canada or anywhere else. You didn’t buy a lottery ticket, did you?
• A poor widow or bank manager does not need your help to move money from a dead person’s account to another place.
• The IRS is not electronically auditing you.
• The jury duty clerk never calls for your Social Security number.
• Banks and credit card companies do not email you to verify your information.
It is of prime importance to know the scams that thieves use to trick you into giving information. They then use the information to steal your identity. Compare this to a defensive driving course. It is not enough to know how to use a phone or the Internet. You must know how to use this technology safely, including increased awareness of situations that could lead to identity theft.